Monday, October 3, 2011

sorry for the wait.

I know, I know...it's been a week! While this seems rather uncharacteristic of me, it is also a good thing because this means I am feeling better and have more fun and exciting things to do than just blog (no offense to y'all). And yes, I am feeling better! Thank you to the good Lord up above for allowing someone to create Cipro because it certainly did the trick. Thank you, also, for your prayers...God does heal. Now, I just hope I don't contract a crazy sickness later on during my time here.

There is so much to talk about since it's been a week, but I will try to stick to the most exciting things!
I would say that the highlight of my week last week was going to the orchid exhibition here in Antigua. The national flower of Guatemala is the Monja Blanca which is a type of orchid and there was a great orchid exhibition in town last week! There were hundreds of different orchids in the exhibit and my teacher and I went with a bunch of others from the school. It was really fantastic! Here are just a couple photos (check out my Facebook for more):

Awesome, huh?! 

Friday was also exciting because I didn't have to take my Spanish test. My teacher's printer wasn't working at home and the school's computers weren't reading her flashdrive...so I was "salvada por el impresora" as she said...or, saved by the printer! We were able to spend a lot of the morning in conversation about a lot of random things, but mainly about her troubles in getting a Visa to go to the States. Her daughter is 1/2 estadounidense (United States-en) and the father of her daughter is from the States. They have been wanting to go visit the States, but Sabina is having a hard time obtaining a Visa and she has concerns about her daughter traveling alone with her dad. It was quite an interesting conversation! During the break on Friday, we celebrated all of the August and September birthdays with pastel y pan de banano (cake and banana bread)! It was so delicious and a lot of fun!
Friday afternoon, our entire group has a little field trip to a nearby town called San Antonio Aguas Calientes. While there, we were able to meet in a little Mayan store run by five different families and learn about some of the traditional customs of their culture...like weddings! They showed us how they make some of their textiles and also showed us the traditional dress and customs of a Mayan wedding. Did you know that in the Mayan culture, the male's family pays for everything?!?! I am totally getting married here! We also were taught how to make tortillas (which is harder than it sounds) and how to grind coffee by hand. We ate a traditional Mayan dish called Pepían and drank some of the strongest coffee I have ever tasted....slightly bitter for my liking, but it still tasted good!
 Two guys from our groups with two girls from another group in traditional Mayan wedding attire :)
The tortilla that I attempted to make into a circle...seriously, it's so much harder than it looks...

This past weekend we stayed here in Antigua and did a little exploring. On Saturday I spent some time at the gym in the morning...which has really helped to eliminate any emotional or physical or mental stress that I might be feeling. After lunch, some friends and I went to the mercado de artesanías (artisan market) to do a little shopping. All I can say is that it's really funny to watch my friends barter. I made a few purchases for my family and continued to "scope out" some other things that I will be interested in getting at a later date. I just have to keep in mind how much space I will have in my suitcase when I return home...it's hard because I just want to buy everything (confession of a shopaholic, hehe). 

Sunday we went to church at Paul and Bev's church and then had lunch with the rest of the group at a really cute little restaurant called "Epicure." I had chicken cordon bleu which was delicious. Some friends and I sat with Crystal (the SAU program assistant) and her husband Brandon (whose mom is also a labor and delivery nurse) who have lived here for a while. It was really neat to pick their brains about life and hear their stories. It's fun too because Crystal and I have a cool relationship...she reminds me of my own sister a bit! Sunday afternoon was spent playing Scrabble at Paul and Bev's house...I have learned a lot about that game since I got here and I am determined to beat Paul once before I leave! It WILL happen! 
Sunday evening, I went out to dinner at a restaurant (and satisfied my pizza craving) with some girl friends. It was a fun evening, but also slightly nerve wracking because it's dark and a little creepy at night here! But, I am getting a little more adventurous. But don't worry, I never go out at night alone! 

I have now started my fourth week of Spanish lessons! I can't believe how fast this is going...but I am also missing the fall season at home! I love this country and I love this language, but I know that I will certainly be ready to see (and touch) my family! That's all for now...sorry it was long winded! I hope you are all being mightily blessed by the Almighty God! 

Finding peace and assurance in Christ, 
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment