Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Just another little update

Hola amigos! I hear that most of you are enduring the first decent snow of the season...you can feel free to have fun in it for me because I don't miss it! I prefer the snow and warmth here in Guatemala. I haven't been keeping you as up-to-date because I have been trying to cut down on paying to use the internet at different cafés. So, here is a little bit of an update on life.

#1: Today is day 85, which means that we have 15 days left here. It is unbelievable how fast the time has gone. I am trying not to focus on how excited I am about going home because I want to enjoy my last 2.5 weeks here, but it's really hard not to think about all that is to come when I get home.

#2: We got a friendly little package last weekend from some wonderful friends back at SAU. They had sent it at the end of September and it was being held in Guatemala City by customs and last Friday we were finally able to retrieve it! The girls wrote each of us a little rhyming note and sent us some treats: tea, gum, chapstick, water flavoring, toilet seat covers (haha), and some other fun things! After getting that from the post office, we were able to go to Price Mart which is like the Costco of Guatemala and a few of us just walked around eating samples. I also bought a HUGE jar of peanut butter for Q39 because I just was craving peanut butter so badly. We spent the evening at the mall where the rest of the group saw the latest Twilight movie (I was not going to put myself in that theater, you couldn't pay me). Papa Paul (the new name for our fearless leader) took us to Pollo Campero for dinner.
 Merry Christmas from Miraflores mall! :)

#3: Saturday was a BEAUTIFUL day and we headed to Monte Rico which is a wonderful, black sand beach on the Pacific Ocean. It took us just over two hours to get there, but by the time we got there, the sun was shining and it was absolutely stunning. We placed our orders for lunch and hit the beach! We played in the waves of the ocean, soaked up some rays, and walked the beach while our feet were burning from the hot sand. We had a lovely lunch and spent more time in the sun, laid in hammacks, played with baby sea turtles, and saw a school of sting rays. All in all, it was a wonderful time at the beach!
 Playing with baby sea turtles!
The view from the hotel we spent the day at
#4: Sunday was our HUGE Thanksgiving dinner as a group. Not only did we have two 15lb. turkeys catered by a Canadian restaurant, but Paul and Bev cooked up a storm with all sorts of Thanksgiving foods. From mashed potatoes to green bean casserole, we had it all! We spent time eating dinner and dessert (pumpkin pie with coffee for me!) and just relaxing and talking. It was a day of fellowship and food and remember all the wonderful things that we can be thankful for!

Well there you are, don't expect too many more posts, but I will try to keep you updated on the last 2.5 weeks! Have a lovely day enjoying that snow, talk to you soon!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment