Friday, July 8, 2011

Practicing Parenting

Proverbs 17:6
Children’s children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.

As a fulltime "babysitter" for the summer, I am learning a lot about parenting. ("Babysitter" is such a weird term for me to use since the kids  I "babysit" for are definitely not babies.) Yesterday, I was able to take four kids to Waldenwoods and spend the day observing them in their interactions with each other and the people around us...it was fascinating, to say the least. 



You may be asking what this post is really supposed to portray, and I will tell you that I have seriously learned the importance of the role of the real parent. I am a substitute parent for 10 hours a day. I am responsible for their well-being. It is my job to teach them love and respect (even if that's not evident on a day-to-day basis). I have done a lot of "babysitting" in my life and I am learning several things very quickly:

1. Follow Through: Boundaries must be set for every area, but especially for behavior. If those boundaries are broken with acceptance from the parental figure, they are going to be broken again. Follow through with the consequences for the actions taken. It's not about being the friend; it's about being the solid, reliable figure.

2. Show Affection: Kids, no matter what the age, crave affection and want to know that they are loved and appreciated. Whether it's a hug, a pat on the head, or a back scratch...it matters! When the kids know that I appreciate them and care about them, the day goes much smoother.

Give Positive Feedback: Yes, children have negative consequences for negative behaviors. But what about positive consequences for positive behaviors? The word "consequence" has a negative connotation already; however, the dictionary defines this word as "a result or effect of an action or condition." This means, kids need to know when they are doing things right too! So, if the kids are being good listeners and not arguing, I tell them. For example, the other days, the kids were being so good. They had one little tiff in the morning and that was it (which is epic!), so I took them to Speedway and bought them a slushie! They responded very well... although, I wouldn't recommend making sugary drinks the reward in most situations ;) 

Being the parental figure in a child's life is a really difficult job; don't ever doubt those who care for your children because it's certainly a challenge. I do my best to exhibit behaviors and take on the role of a parent when with the kids I am watching, even if they are hard to love. Now I am beginning to realize why parents have such a special role. AND I have realized how blessed I was/am to have such loving and awesome parents...hopefully someday I will be able to bless them with some grand babies :)

Take pride in your children today. Go out of your way to show them you love them. Back to "babysitting" I go...

No comments:

Post a Comment